Friday, January 17, 2020

Epilogue


Epilogue

I found this story, neatly typed, among Dad’s
papers. I remember hearing him tell it. I think it
was one of his favorites, and it explains why, in his
notes, he liked to use the generic abbreviation,
“H.A.” to refer to postal supervisors.

Horse’s Ass

When you find yourself standing in front of your
supervisor who is seated at his desk, explaining his
reasons for taking punitive action, and he says, “I
guess you think I’m a horse’s ass………. but I AM an
administrator,” .............how in hell do you respond?
How often in a short, or even a long life, will you
have a line like that thrown at you? How often have
you walked away after hearing something like that,
and thought to yourself, “Why didn’t I think to say
this or that while I was standing there (in front of
the “horse’s mouth?” )
Yeah, I’ve been there. He was sitting there
explaining to me why he “had to” remove me from
my job. Trying to make a punitive action (entirely
unwarranted) into an administrative action. You
find yourself standing there totally alone among
several co-workers, including a union shop steward,
all called in to witness the proceedings. Well, he is
the boss, so you don’t contradict him in front of all
the underlings. It just wouldn’t seem polite, would it?
The best I could come up with, on the spur of the
moment, was total agreement.
“Mr. Munnell,” I said, “You’ve hit the nail on the head.
I do indeed THINK you are a horse’s ass. I don’t say it
aloud, as that would be disrespectful, but I certainly
do think it. When I arrive for work and see your car
in the lot, I THINK, ‘The horse’s ass is here.’ When I
read one of your notices on the bulletin board, I
THINK, ‘The horse’s ass is at it again.’ When I hear
about something Mr. Munnell said or did, I THINK ‘
There goes the horse’s ass.’ No, I never say it aloud,
but I am constantly THINKING it.”
I must have used “the expression” in at least seven
contexts. He just sat there, glaring at me and
gripping the edge of his desk a little tighter with
each example of my thinking. I saw the shop steward
(all 250 pounds of him) trying to “disappear”into the
chair he was sitting in, and one of the junior
managers, a damn decent individual who should
have been running things, standing in the doorway,
looking over Munnell’s shoulder at me, and grinning
like a preacher with an overflowing collection plate.
I’m certain that I saw a single tear slowly running
down Munnell’s cheek. His knuckles were white and
he was holding onto his desk (and control) with
everything he had.
I have always regretted that I did not use “the
expression” once more. How far would that desk
have flown if Munnell had “lost his grip?” Regrets,
regrets.
John J. McNulty


Drawing by Nora Carr Haydon, granddaughter of John McNulty






No comments:

Post a Comment